About the Diocese » Past Bishops
Born July 6, 1932, the son of Michael J. and Caroline Horigan Moynihan of Rochester, was ordained a priest on Dec. 15, 1957 in Rome, Italy. He holds a licentiate in theology from the North American College and Gregorian University, Rome, and a doctorate in canon law, summa cum laude, from Gregorian University. His assignments have included: associate pastor, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Rochester defender of the bond and promoter of justice in the diocesan tribunal; secretary to Bishop James E. Kearney; vice chancellor of the Diocese of Rochester; chancellor of the Diocese of Rochester; Catholic chaplain, Monroe County jail; Catholic chaplain, Rochester police department Catholic chaplain, Highland Hospital, Rochester; pastor, St. Joseph parish Penfield; director, bishop's annual Catholic Thanksgiving Appeal; associate secretary general, Catholic Near East Welfare Association. He was appointed bishop of Syracuse April 4, 1995; ordained and installed May 29, 1995. He retired on April 21, 2009.
Born March 12, 1919, the son of Michael and Bridget O'Sullivan O'Keefe of New York City, was ordained a priest April 17, 1948 for the Archdiocese of New York. His assignments have included: Associate pastor of St. Luke's in the Bronx,Biology instructor and Dean of Studies at Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx, Editor of the Catholic Encyclopedia for School and Home, Biology instructor at Mercy College in Dobbs Ferry, Biology Instructor at St. Joseph Seminary in Yonkers, Associate Superintendent of schools for the Archdiocese of New York, Archdiocesan Secretary for Education, Chancellor of the Archdiocese and Vicar General, Pastor of St. John the Evangelist in Manhattan. Appointed Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of New York on July 3, 1982, and titular bishop of Tre Taverne, consecrated at St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC on September 8, 1982. He was appointed Bishop of Syracuse on June 16, 1987, installed August 3, 1987 and retired May 29, 1995. He died on September 2, 1997 and is buried in the crypt of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Syracuse New York.
Most Rev. Thomas J. Costello, born Feb. 23, 1929, the son of James G. and Ethel Dupont Costello, of Camden and native of St. Peter's, Rome, was ordained a priest June 5, 1954 for the Diocese of Syracuse. His assignments have included: associate pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes, Syracuse; secretary of the diocesan tribunal; superintendent of Catholic schools; pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes; episcopal vicar of the Southern Region; vicar general of the diocese under Bishops Frank Harrison, Joseph O'Keefe, and James Moynihan. He was appointed auxiliary bishop of Syracuse Jan. 10, 1978; consecrated and installed March 13, 1978. He was appointed Vicar for Priests, effective May 5, 2000. He officially retired on March 23, 2004, but remained Vicar General for the Diocese until May 26, 2009.
Most Rev. Frank J. Harrison, born Aug. 20, 1912, the son of Frank J. and Mary Flynn Harrison of Syracuse and native of St. Lucy's in Syracuse, was ordained a priest June 4, 1937 in Rochester for the Diocese of Syracuse. His assignments included: assistant director, Utica Catholic Charities; associate pastor, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Utica, St. Mary's in Binghamton, and Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Syracuse; first pastor of St. Andrew, Syracuse; pastor of St. Patrick, Binghamton, and St. James, Syracuse. He was appointed auxiliary bishop of Syracuse, March 1, 1971 and consecrated on April 22, 1971. He was appointed bishop of Syracuse Nov. 16, 1977. His motto was Unity in Christ. He retired June 16, 1987. Bishop Harrison died at the age of 91 on May 1, 2004. He is buried in his family plot at St. Agnes Cemetery, Syracuse.
Most Rev. David Frederick Cunningham, born December 3, 1900 in Walkerville, Montana, son of David and Mary Fitzgerald Cunningham, was ordained a priest on June 12, 1926 at St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rochester, New York. His assignments included: assistant pastor of St. Ambrose Church, Endicott, assistant at Loretto Rest, assistant at St. John's Church, Camden, New York, secretary to Bishop Curley, Bishop Duffy, Bishop Foery and chancellor of the diocese, pastor of St. John the Baptist, Syracuse and was Vicar General of the diocese. He was named Titular Bishop of Lampsacus and Auxiliary Bishop of Syracuse on April 5, 1950, consecrated Bishop on June 8, 1950. His consecration marks the first occasion when a priest ordained for Syracuse was advanced to the ranks of the Episcopacy. He participated in Second Vatican Council Syracuse Diocese and on June 21, 1967, was appointed Co-adjutor Bishop of Syracuse with right of succession. On August 4, 1970 he was named 6th Bishop of Syracuse. On December 3, 1975 he resigned at age 75 but continued to serve as apostolic administrator. He died on February 22, 1979 and was buried in St. Mary's Cemetery, Dewitt. His motto was "All Things in Charity."
Most Rev. Walter Andrew Foery, born July 6, 1890 in Rochester, New York, son of William Foery and Agnes O'Brien Foery and was ordained a priest on June 10, 1916 in St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rochester, NY. His assignments included: assistant pastor of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church, Rochester, NY, director of Rochester New York Catholic Charities, pastor of Most Holy Rosary Church, Rochester, NY, Vice Chairman of Rochester, NY Council of Social Agencies. He was appointed 5th Bishop of Syracuse and youngest priest ever appointed to be bishop of Syracuse and held this post longer than any of his predecessors. He was consecrated Bishop on August 18, 1937 at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Rochester and installed as 5th Bishop of Syracuse on September 1, 1937. On December 11, 1961, he was appointed assistant at the Pontifical Throne and on August 4, 1970 he retired as Bishop of Syracuse. His motto was "Stand Firm in the Faith." He died at the age of 87 on May 10, 1978 and is buried in the priests' plot in St. Mary's Cemetery, Dewitt. While he was bishop he helped establish 2 colleges - Lemoyne and Maria Regina, ordained 257 priests, opened 10 high schools and 38 grammar schools. Erected 42 new parishes, dedicated 84 new church buildings, opened Pius X, a retreat house for diocesan priests and lay persons, 3 new hospitals in different parts of the diocese and a new chancery building. He launched CYO programs and provided 2 youth camps.
Most Rev. John Aloysius Duffy, 4th Bishop of Syracuse, was born on October 29, 1884 in Jersey City, NJ, son of Patrick Joseph and Anna Marie Smith Duffy and was ordained a priest on June 13, 1908. His assignments included: assistant at Our Lady of Grace, Hoboken, NJ, professor of Literature and Languages, Seton Hall College, instructor in church history at Newark Seminary, Chancellor for Diocese of Newark, NJ, Domestic Prelate to His Holiness, Pope Pius XI with the title of Rt. Rev. Msgr., made Vicar General, Diocese of Newark, NJ, administrator of Diocese of Newark, Pastor of St. Joseph's Church, Jersey City, NJ. Consecrated Bishop of Syracuse Diocese on April 21, 1933 in Sacred Heart Cathedral, Newark, NJ. Installed as Bishop of Syracuse in the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception on July 11, 1933. His motto was "Wisdom from Above." January 9, 1937 he was appointed Bishop of Buffalo, NY and installed as Bishop on April 14, 1937. He died September 27, 1944 and on October 4, 1944 was buried in Holy Name Cemetery, Jersey City, NJ.
Most Rev. Daniel Joseph Curley, born June 16, 1869, son of Michael and Margaret Swan Curley, of New York City. He was ordained a priest in Rome, Italy on May 19, 1894. His assignments included: assistant at Church of the Holy Name in Manhattan, archdiocese secretary, Pastor of Our Lady of Solace in the Bronx. Elected as Bishop of Syracuse on February 19, 1923 and consecrated Bishop on May 1, 1923 in St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City. On May 15, 1923 he was formally installed as Bishop of the Syracuse Diocese in the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. His motto was "Hail, Our Hope!" He died August 3, 1932. Bishop Curley established the Society for the Propagation of Faith, established 28 parishes, 10 schools built and 8 new high schools. He saw the erection of Loretto Rest and erected Lourdes Hospital in Binghamton. At his invitation, the Dominican Sisters of Perpetual Rosary opened in Syracuse the first home for Cloistered Nuns. He also made music a part of the daily curriculum in diocesan schools. His body lies in the crypt in the Cathedral.
Most Rev. John Grimes, born December 18, 1852, the son of John and Bridget Hammon Grimes, of Doughanmore, County Limerick, Ireland, was ordained a priest February 19, 1882 in Albany. His assignments have included: assistant to Rev. Dr. James A. O'Hara, pastor of St. Mary's, served his first pastorate at Whitesboro, appointed third pastor of St. Mary's on death of Rev. Dr. James A. O'Hara in 1890. On May 16, 1909, he was consecrated Bishop of Imeria and Co-adjutor Bishop of Syracuse to Bishop Ludden in Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. August 6, 1912, he succeeded Bishop Ludden. He served as the second bishop of Syracuse until July 22, 1922 and died on July 26, 1922 and is buried in the crypt at the Cathedral. His motto was "Be A Mother to us."
Most Rev. Patrick Anthony Ludden, first bishop of Syracuse, was born on February 4, 1836 in County Mayo, Ireland, son of Anthony and Ellen Fitzgerald and was ordained a priest May 21, 1864 for the Albany Diocese. His assignments included: St. Joseph's Church, Malone, NY, Chancellor of the Albany Diocese, theologian and companion to Bishop Conroy at the 20th Ecumenical Council of the Vatican, Vicar General of Diocese of Albany and rector of Albany Cathedral, pastor of St. Peter's Church, Troy. Appointed Bishop of Diocese of Syracuse on December 14, 1886, consecrated Bishop on May 1, 1887 at Assumption Church. He chose St. John the Evangelist as his Cathedral. In 1903 left St. John the Evangelist and took St. Mary's as the Cathedral of the Diocese. His motto was "Justice and Peace." Bishop Ludden died August 6, 1912 and is buried in the crypt under the Cathedral.