- To organize and supervise a formation program for candidates to the Permanent Diaconate.
- To serve as liaison to the community of Permanent Deacons in the Syracuse Diocese.
Information on the Deacon Formation Program and on the activities of Permanent Deacons is available. Direct services to the Deacon community, includes: continuing education, retreats and newsletters, Deacon Handbook and directory.
**Attendance at the annual information seminar by applicants and spouses is a prerequisite to application. The Seminar will include a description of the Formation Program, the role of the Permanent Deacon, the application process and other pertinent information
Minimum requirements for application to the Deacon Formation Program include the following:
- Applicants must be at least 35 years old and must be of an age and health status as to provide at least ten years of post ordination diaconal service.
- Completion of the Formation for Ministry Program in the Diocese of Syracuse or its equivalent.
- Must have successfully completed VIRTUS Training through the Diocesan Safe Environment Program and posses a certification card stating the same.
- Must complete a FBI Criminal Background Check.
- Applicants must have job stability and sufficient income to provide security for wife and family. The obligation to the Sacrament of Marriage is primary.
- Single applicants should be aware of the current discipline of the Church that celibacy is an obligation for unmarried candidates to the Permanent Diaconate. (Ordained deacons who are predeceased by their wives must remain unmarried and celibate).
- Married applicants should be partners in a stable marriage. Each applicant must have the written consent and support of his spouse. Since children are a primary concern, they must be such an age and position so as not to be unduly affected by their father’s pursuit of a life that involves special apostolic commitment, time, focus and energy.
- If the applicant is planning to marry or is recently married, there must be a waiting period of two years before making application to the diaconate.
- Applicants must have the sponsorship of a parish, agency or program that is prepared to participate and support the applicant through the formation period and accept his services after ordination.
Those men who meet the above requirements are invited to attend this information seminar. **Wives of married applicants must attend. Sponsors are also urged to participate to ensure a complete understanding of their role in the formation program.
Directs the process of discernment and application and provides the program of formation and personnel services for permanent deacons.
240 East Onondaga Street
Syracuse, NY 13202
Tel: (315) 470-1479
Fax: (315) 478-4619