In December of 2010, Bishop Cunningham approved a use of these funds in support of Evangelization and Food Bank programs in parishes:
- For Evangelization programs, all parishes of the Diocese of Syracuse that met or exceeded their 2014 HOPE Appeal goal as recorded in the HOPE Appeal final report are eligible to apply for a McDevitt Grant in support of Evangelization Programs in Youth and/or Family Life. Generally speaking all grants are to support creative and innovative approaches to the continuing evangelization of our young people and families, and will not exceed $10,000. Priority will be given to programs that can be replicated in other parishes.
- For Food Pantry programs, all parishes of the Diocese are eligible to apply for a McDevitt Grant in support of parish operated programs. Generally speaking, all grants are to support the purchase of food items, and will not exceed $5,000. Funds are not intended to support capital needs, employee compensation, other overhead costs, gift cards, emergency needs, or non-food items.
- All budget funds must be used in full by June 30 or will need to be returned to McDevitt Fund.
There are two types of grant application forms: Evangelization and Food Pantry. Grant application forms and budget sheets are available as downloadable documents on line at www.syrdio.org. Applications for grants will only be accepted on these forms. It is strongly encouraged that they be submitted electronically to the dedicated email address: email@example.com. Grant applications are due by March 20th. All grant requests must be reviewed and approved by the pastor.
Applications will be ranked by a group of content experts with experience in each program area and then submitted to the Pastor’s Advisory Council for review. The PAC will then make recommendations to Bishop Cunningham.
- Mid-year report form
- Memo Regarding Applications
- Grant Timeline
- McDevitt Grant Presentation Slides
- Final Report
- Approved Evangelization Grants 2015-16
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Who is eligible?
A: Only parishes of the Diocese of Syracuse are eligible to apply. There are no preconditions for the Food Pantry grants. A parish must have met its most recent HOPE Appeal goal to be eligible to apply for an Evangelization grant.
Q: Can we submit more than one grant request?
A: Yes, parishes may submit a grant request for one or both program areas as long as preconditions have been met and request does not exceed funding maximum ($10,000 evangelization, $5,000 Food Pantry). All grant requests must be approved by the pastor before submission.
Q: If we receive a grant, when will funds be sent out?
A: Grant notifications will be sent by the week of May 25th. Grant funds will be distributed on or around July 1st. A single check in the amount approved will be provided. Funds may only be used for the approved grants.