"The Light is On For You" campaign was created by the Archdiocese of Washington and has since been implemented by dioceses throughout the United States. The Diocese of Syracuse is proud to join in this effort and generally offers extended hours for confession on one evening during Advent and Lent.
By participating in the Sacrament of Reconciliation, whether our first time in days, weeks, months or years, we are experiencing God’s individual and unwavering love for us, and one of the true graces made available to us by our Catholic faith. God loves us just the way we are, but he loves us too much to leave us that way. When we return to the Church for the Sacrament of Reconciliation, Jesus rejoices like the father in the Parable of the Prodigal Son. It is never "too late" to return to Jesus and ask for forgiveness. Imagine how joyful you will feel upon confessing your sins, big or small!
Our parishes offer ongoing confession schedules throughout the year. Click the button below to find a parish near you!
Check with your local parish to confirm their participation: Note that some parishes may be open during times other than 4:00-7:00 pm. The most reliable way to confirm that a parish will be open is to give them a call. Parishes who have sent a notice that they will not be participating are the following:
- St. Joseph in Oriskany Falls. Parishioners are told that St. Bernard's in Waterville will be.
- The Catholic Community of St. Stephen-St. Patrick: 51 Keibel Rd, Whitney Point & 16 Academy St., Marathon & Our Lady of Perpetual Help, 2708 Lower Cincinnatus Rd., Cincinnatus. Each church will have sign indicating that and our nearest churches participating.
- Greene at Immaculate Conception. They are linked with St. Josephs in Oxford and Father Paul rotates the Advent and Lenten Penance Service locations. This Advent season it will be held in Oxford from 4-7 pm.
- How to Make a Good Confession by Syracuse Catholic Television
- Pope Francis: Don't be afraid or ashamed to go to confession (via CNS)
- Truth & Life Dramatized Audio Bible
- Examinations of Conscience (USCCB)