In accordance with the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, each diocesan entity is to provide for youth protection, training, criminal background screening and safe environment protocols. In the Diocese of Syracuse, the Safe Environment Committee and its Chairperson have been appointed by the Diocesan Bishop to research, recommend, and implement a program by which the Diocese of Syracuse will comply with these mandates.
The Bishop has appointed officials of diocesan departments as members of this ex-officio group. The Diocesan Bishop, in consultation with the Diocesan Review Board, supervises the work of the Safe Environment Committee.
The Diocese of Syracuse Safe Environment Committee members are:
Danielle E. Cummings, Chairperson: Chancellor and Director of Communications
- Jacqueline Bressette, Director of Safe Environment and Victim Assistance
- Gabrielle Gleason, Communications and Social Media Specialist
- Lisa Hall, Director of the Office of Family/Respect Life Ministry
- Rev. Msgr. James P. Lang, Vicar for Parishes
- Theresa May, Associate Director of Faith Formation
- Dr. Barbara Messina, PhD, Director of Leadership Development and Mission Effectiveness, Catholic School Office
- Rosemary Smith, Manager of Human Resources and Benefits
- Robert Walters, Director of Young Adult and Youth Ministry
- Joelle Zarnowski, Safe Environment Program Coordinator